- Jonker to take charge of first game at Wolfsburg helm.
- Mainz coach Martin Schmidt with excellent record against the Wolves.
- Visitors are only two points clear of drop zone.
Jonker replaced Valerien Ismael in the Wolfsburg hotseat following Matchday 22's 2-1 defeat at home to Werder Bremen. The Dutchman, who was assistant manager at the club between 2012 and 2014, needs to hit the ground running if the Wolves are to remain out of the relegation zone: the Lower Saxony outfit come into Matchday 23 only two points clear of the relegation play-off spot.
Mainz ended a six-match losing streak away from home last weekend when early goals from Stefan Bell and Levin Öztunali earned them a 2-0 win at Bayer Leverkusen. The 05ers, currently 11th in the table, have not lost against Wolfsburg during Martin Schmidt’s reign, but will have to take three points this weekend to climb into the top half of the table.
- No team has scored more goals from set pieces than Mainz (12) this season.
- The 05ers have drawn three and won one of the four matches they have played against Wolfsburg since Martin Schmidt took over as manager in February 2015.
- With four goals, Bell is the highest-scoring central defender in the Bundesliga this season. He has yet to win against Wolfsburg in the top flight (three draws, two defeats).
- Wolfsburg lost against Werder Bremen despite having a league-high 27 shots on goal.
- Yunus Malli left Mainz for the Wolves in the January transfer window. However, he remains the home team’s top scorer this season with six league goals.
- In the second half of the season no team has taken fewer points than Wolfsburg. Along with Darmstadt, the Wolves have picked up only three points from five matches.