FC Augsburg return to Bundesliga action after their UEFA Europa League adventures with a home game against Borussia Mönchengladbach this Sunday (kick-off 15:30CET/14:30GMT).
Positioned at opposite ends of the table, both teams will be looking to ride the wave of narrow but crucial victories notched up on Matchday 22. Victory over Hannover 96 last weekend saw Augsburg pull four points clear of the relegation play-off place, but there is a lot of work to be done yet if Markus Weinzierl's men, in action against Liverpool FC in the Europa League knockout stages on Thursday, are to avoid the drop.
Gladbach, meanwhile, will buoyed by their narrow victory in the Rhine derby against 1. FC Köln on Matchday 22 and will be looking to put more pressure on the top four. They currently sit in , on equal points with Bayer 04 Leverkusen, who lie just one place above them.
After five defeats in their opening five games under former coach Lucien Favre, Gladbach welcomed new boss Andre Schubert with a blistering return to form.
Matchday 23 - match stats
- Augsburg have won just one of their last eight home games in the Bundesliga.
- Gladbach raced into a 4-0 lead in just 21 minutes back on Matchday 6, with Augsburg scoring twice in reply.
- Gladbach are winless in their last four away games, losing their last three and conceding 12 times in that trio of games. If they make it four with defeat in Augsburg, it will be the first time that has happened since 2009.
- Augsburg have won three of their last four games against Gladbach. Only Dortmund have beaten Gladbach more times than Augsburg since 2011.
- The Foals have never won in Augsburg in four attempts. Only against SG Wattenscheid 09 have they played a team as many times without winning in the league.
- Lars Stindl and Jonas Hofmann, on the other hand, have never lost against Die Függerstädter.
Augsburg: Hitz - Verhaegh (c), Gouweleeuw, Klavan, Max - Altintop, Kohr - Werner, Koo, Caiuby - Ji
Absentees: Callsen-Bracker (groin), Framberger (cruciate ligament), Baier (light training), Feulner (cheekbone)
Gladbach: Sommer - Elvedi, Christensen, Nordtveit, Wendt - Dahoud, Xhaka (c) - Hazard, Johnson, Hofmann - Raffael
Absentees: Stindl (suspended), Stranzl (muscular), Jantschke (cruciate ligament), Dominguez (back), Hahn (light training), Schulz (cruciate ligament).