Frankfurt's 2-0 loss at Hertha Berlin was the third in a row for Niko Kovac’s side, who have not scored in the Bundesliga since Ante Rebic’s winner against Darmstadt on Matchday 19. This run has meant Kovac's troops have slipped from third to sixth, but three points would get their push for a place in the UEFA Champions League next season back on track.
Freiburg also have eyes on a place in Europe next term, but inconsistency meant Christian Streich's side currently hover five points off sixth place in ninth. Matchday 22 saw Streich’s team slip to a 3-0 defeat at home to Borussia Dortmund, but a win at the Commerzbank Arena would put pressure on the sides above them – including Frankfurt.
- In the first six games of 2017, Frankfurt have already lost more times – four - than in the 16 games before the winter break - three.
- Freiburg have lost just two of their last seven away games (W2, D3).
- In the table for games played in 2017 only Darmstadt (four points) are behind Frankfurt, with six.
- The Black forest outfit have won three of their last four meetings with Frankfurt.
- If Marco Russ plays it will be his first Bundesliga appearance since 19 May 2016. The club captain has beaten cancer and returned in Eintracht’s DFB Cup win over Arminia Bielefeld on Tuesday.
- In their Bundesliga history, Freiburg have only recorded more victories against Schalke (12) than against Eintracht (11).