1. FSV Mainz 05 and Bayer 04 Leverkusen will both be looking to bounce straight back from defeats on Matchday 22 when they meet at the Coface Arena this Sunday (kick-off 17:30CET/16:30GMT).
Mainz are a formidable force at home. Their five-game unbeaten run at the Coface Arena has launched them into the running for a place in Europe next season. After suffering a setback with their 3-2 defeat to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Matchday 23, the 05ers will be keen to show once again that they can challenge the big clubs.
Leverkusen are also in decent form, despite their 1-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund last weekend, their first in six games in the Bundesliga. Roger Schmidt's men will have to tap into the deepest reserves of their energy, however, as they return from their UEFA Europa League second leg fixture against Sporting Clube de Portugal.
Goals: 1-0 Hernandez (69’)
Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez scored his maiden goal in the Bundesliga to give Leverkusen a narrow but deserved win over Mainz 05.
Matchday 23 - match stats
- Mainz are unbeaten at home in five games. They have won four of those five, including victories against VfL Wolfsburg, FC Schalke 04 and Borussia Mönchengladbach.
- Leverkusen's six-game unbeaten run in the league came to an end on Matchday 22 with that defeat to Dortmund.
- Bayer have now suffered seven losses this term, as many as they suffered in the entirety of last season.
- Hernandez's winning goal against Mainz on Matchday 6 was his first in the Bundesliga. He currently has 13 goals to his name in 18 appearances.
- Yunus Malli leads the Mainz scoring charts with eight goals, but has gone as many matches without finding the net.
- Mainz have beaten Leverkusen more times than they have beaten any other club currently playing in the Bundesliga.
Mainz: Karius - Brosinski, Balogun, Hack, Bussmann - Baumgartlinger (c), Latza - Clemens, Malli, Jairo - Cordoba
Absentees: Bell (knee), Berggreen (knee), Muto (knee), Soto (light training)
Leverkusen: Leno - Jedvaj, Tah, Papadopoulos, Wendell - Kramer - Bellarabi, Mehmedi, Brandt - Kießling (c), Hernandez
Absentees: Toprak (adductor), Kampl (calf), Bender (light training), Aranguiz (light training)