- Wolfsburg well beaten by Dortmund last time out.
- Wolves picked up third home win in last game at Volkswagen Arena.
- Werder beat Wolfsburg 2-1 on Matchday 5
Wolfsburg earned a 2-1 win over Hoffenheim in their last home match but Valerien Ismael’s side lost 3-0 at Dortmund on Matchday 21. Sitting 14th in the table, the Wolves will be hungry for revenge against a visiting side that struck twice late on to beat them in Bremen in September.
While Ismael's side have lost four of their last five matches in all competitions, Werder snapped a four-game losing streak on Matchday 21. Their 2-0 win at Mainz has eased the pressure on manager Alexander Nouri and means that the visitors, who are third from bottom, are now just three points behind this week's opponents.
- Wolfsburg have 22 points and Werder Bremen have 19. For both teams, this is a club record low after 21 matchdays.
- If Wolfsburg lose by two goals, they will drop behind the visitors in the standings.
- The Wolves have scored just twice in their last four matches in all competitions.
- Werder picked up their first points of 2017 with victory against Mainz.
- The visitors last won on a Friday over four years ago - a 2-0 win against Hannover 96 in February 2013. Since then they have lost seven and drawn two of nine matches they played on Friday.
- Werder's 2-1 win over Wolfsburg in September came after their worst ever start to the season – a run of four straight defeats. It was also Alexander Nouri’s first victory as Werder manager.