- Freiburg out to continue strong home form.
- Only seven points separate newly-promoted Freiburg and third-placed Dortmund.
- BVB won the reverse fixture 3-1 on Matchday 5.
Seven home wins from 10 matches is the main reason why Christian Streich’s newly-promoted Freiburg are ninth in the table and only seven points behind the visitors. The team drew 2-2 at Hamburg on Matchday 21 but have won their last two home games against teams above them in the table – Hertha Berlin and Cologne.
After defeats against Darmstadt on Matchday 20 and against Benfica in the Champions League, Dortmund got back to winning ways with a 3-0 victory at home to Wolfsburg on Matchday 21. Yet Thomas Tuchel’s men have only one win in their last six Bundesliga away matches – leaving them eight points behind second-placed RB Leipzig and 13 behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Watch: BVB trio Andre Schürrle, Marco Reus and Mario Götze are Borussia's BFFs:
- Freiburg have lost only two of their last nine Bundesliga matches. During that time, they have collected almost as many points (15) as Dortmund (16).
- The home side have 30 points after 21 games. That is one point fewer than at the same stage of the season four years ago, when they went on to finish fifth and qualify for the UEFA Europa League.
- This season Christian Streich’s team have won as many home matches (seven) as Bayern and Dortmund. Along with RB Leipzig, however, Dortmund are the only team that the Freiburg manager against whom Streich is yet to win a single Bundesliga point.
- Following their win over Wolfsburg, Borussia are back in third place for the first time since Matchday 11.
- The visitors have won their last eleven Bundesliga games against Freiburg.
- Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel is one win away from his 100th victory as a Bundesliga manager.