- Darmstadt six points adrift at foot of the table.
- Augsburg 12 points clear of the home team.
- Augsburg beat Darmstadt 1-0 at home on Matchday 5.
Darmstadt enjoyed a famous win over Borussia Dortmund on Matchday 20 but they came crashing down to earth with a 2-0 defeat at Hoffenheim a week later. The Lilies have gathered all 12 of their points at home this season and a fourth win in front of their supporters would boost their hopes of avoiding the drop.
Augsburg have followed up two wins in a row with two defeats in succession – the latest of which was a 3-1 reverse at home to Bayer Leverkusen. Manuel Baum’s team are still 13th in the standings but they could do with a positive result on Saturday if they are to avoid being dragged into a relegation battle.
- So far every team that has had as low a points total as Darmstadt after 21 Matchdays has gone on to be relegated.
- Following their defeat at Hoffenheim, the Lilies are still to claim points in two consecutive matches this season.
- Darmstadt’s Aytac Sulu (seven goals) and Augsburg’s Paul Verhaegh (six) were the two top-scoring defenders in the Bundesliga last season. Neither has scored so far this campaign.
- Augsburg have picked up as many points away from home as Darmstadt have managed overall.
- The visitors have gone eight competitive games without defeat in Darmstadt - winning seven of them.
- Augsburg’s Halil Altintop is the twin brother of Darmstadt player Hamit. They are one of nine sets of twins to have played in the Bundesliga. Of the others, only Sven and Lars Bender (at Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen respectively) are still active in the top flight.