Hamburg have been on quite the winning streak as of late. A 1-0 win against Bayer 04 Leverkusen and a 3-0 victory against RB Leipzig have seen Markus Gisdol's side climb from 17th to 15th and out of the relegation zone. Kyriakos Papadopolous has scored in both victories over his former clubs, will his personal streak continue?
Despite not being as strong on the road as at home, Freiburg have been nonetheless consistent to maintain their mid-table spot. Their 2-1 victory over 1.FC Köln will have given Christian Streich's side that added confidence needed when they set out on the Bundesliga's longest away trip to Hamburg.
- Hamburg have won their last three competitive games. The last time that happened was when Armin Veh was their manager (2010-2011). They have not won four games in a row since Bruno Labbadia was in charge more than seven years ago.
- Freiburg are unbeaten in four Bundesliga matches against the Bundesliga’s only ever-present club. They are unbeaten in five league games in Hamburg.
- Since 1st December, only FC Bayern München have earned more points than HSV’s 15 from a possible 24.
- The Black Forest outfit are third in the table from results over the winter months.
- For many years Freiburg were one of HSV’s favourite opponents but that has changed since Christian Streich took over. Hamburg have won only once in their last seven matches against the Breisgau club – a 3-0 away win in October 2013.
- The Red Shorts’ sporting director Jens Todt played for Freiburg between 1991 and 1996. He was promoted with them in 1993 and became a Germany international while at the club.