Bayer 04 Leverkusen are looking to build on their emphatic victory over third-placed Eintracht Frankfurt last weekend, as they visit FC Augsburg for the Matchday 21 opener on Friday evening (kick-off 20:30CET/19:30GMT).
The mood at Augsburg has taken a turn for the worse following Matchday 20. Going into their game against 1. FSV Mainz 05 last weekend, Die Fuggerstädter were on a two-match winning run for the first time in the season, however, a 2-0 loss quickly dampened their high spirits as well as dropping them to 13th.
Leverkusen's dream of Champions League football was given a new lease of life last weekend following Die Werkself's 3-0 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt. The man Roger Schmidt had to thank was none other than Mexican star Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez. The striker has netted three goals in his last two outings, and more goals of that quality could see Bayer 04 close down the seven-point gap to a Champions League qualification berth in no time.
- Augsburg could win back-to-back home games for the first time in more than two years.
- Last season the sides drew 3-3 in Augsburg after the home side went into a 3-0 lead. It was the only time in the Bundesliga that Augsburg have had a three-goal lead and the only time in the Bundesliga that Leverkusen have won a point after trailing 3-0.
- Augsburg goalkeeper Marwin Hitz scored a goal against Leverkusen two years ago. Bayer goalkeeper Bernd Leno scored the only own goal of his career against Augsburg in October 2015.
- Die Fuggerstädter have won none of their 11 Bundesliga matches against Leverkusen. After seven defeats in a row, the last four games have ended in a draw.
- In the six games that their captain Lars Bender has played, Die Werkself have won as many games (4) as in the 14 matches without him.
- Augsburg have been waiting over four years for a win on a Friday evening. They have not won any of their last 11 Friday matches (3 draws, 8 defeats).