Neighbouring FC Augsburg provide the next test for title-chasing FC Bayern München when the two clubs meet on Sunday evening at the WWK Arena (kick-off: 18:30CET/17:30GMT).
The Bavarians, ravaged by injuries to the likes of Jerome Boateng, Medhi Benatia, Javier Martinez and now Holger Badstuber, were held to a goalless draw at Bayer 04 Leverkusen last time out, but nevertheless maintained their lead at the top thanks to Borussia Dortmund's draw at Hertha Berlin.
Augsburg suffered a frustrating 2-1 home loss to another Bavarian side in FC Ingolstadt 04 on Matchday 20, but will take encouragement from having beaten Bayern twice under Pep Guardiola in recent years.
FC Bayern came from behind to maintain their perfect start to the season as two late goals from Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Müller gave them a 2-1 win over local rivals Augsburg.
Matchday 21 - match facts
- After seven matches unbeaten, Augsburg suffered their first defeat in three months against Ingolstadt.
- Bayern maintained their eight-point lead over second place with last weekend’s draw at Leverkusen. Never before has a club squandered such a handsome lead in pursuit of the league title.
- Augsburg season ticket-holders are in for a treat in the coming weeks. Their next five home games are FC Bayern, Liverpool FC, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Leverkusen and Dortmund.
- Markus Weinzierl is the only coach to have beaten Pep Guardiola’s Bayern twice in the league.
- Bayern (111.1 km) and Augsburg (111.2) are two of the teams with the lowest distance covered by each player on average this season.
- Augsburg’s strikers have not scored a single league goal on home soil this season.
- Joshua Kimmich could again play at centre back, as he did at Leverkusen. In his 12 appearances, Bayern have not conceded a goal while he has been on the pitch.
- Augsburg have committed the most fouls of any team in the league (320), while Bayern have committed the fewest (220).
- The Fuggerstädter have conceded the most shots on goal this term (327); Bayern the least (133).
Augsburg: Hitz - Verhaegh, Hong, Klavan, Stafylidis - Kohr - Koo - Esswein, Moravek, Caiuby - Bobadilla
Absentees: Callsen-Bracker (shin), Baier (ankle)
Bayern: Neuer - Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Bernat - Vidal - Robben, Müller, Thiago, Douglas Costa - Lewandowski
Absentees: Boateng (groin), Martinez (knee), Alonso (suspended), Ulreich, Benatia (both light training), Badstuber (ankle)