Going into Matchday 20, Köln were a side full with confidence, however their trip to SC Freiburg last weekend wasn't a particular happy one. Experiencing their best Bundesliga campaign in 27 years, Freiburg threw a spanner in the works with their 2-1 victory. The Billy Goats now have the opportunity to get their charge for European football back on track at home to the Royal Blues.
Schalke have continued to turn their Bundesliga season around with their 2-0 win against Hertha Berlin as both Guido Burgstaller and Leon Goretzka got themselves on the scoresheet. Having climbed four places from that victory alone, can the Royal Blues summon a late attempt at a top seven finish?
- Köln are unbeaten at home this season. However, they lost their last home matches against each of their next three visitors – Schalke, FC Bayern München and Hertha Berlin.
- Die Knappen’s win over Hertha on Matchday 20 was the first time they have beaten a team in the top half of the table this season.
- Anthony Modeste is the first Frenchman to score 16 goals in a Bundesliga season.
- In the last 13 games between the sides, Schalke have won seven times and Köln have won six times. The last draw between the sides was on April 15, 2006.
- The Billy Goats have won four of their last five matches against Schalke. Their manager Peter Stöger has been more successful against the Royal Blues than against any other team and the club itself has more Bundesliga victories against Schalke (36) than against any other club.
- S04 goalkeeper Ralf Fährmann is yet to keep a clean sheet in nine matches against Köln.