Treble-chasing FC Bayern München will have their work cut out when they visit Bayer 04 Leverkusen and free-scoring Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez in Matchday 20's headline fixture on Saturday evening (kick-off: 18.30CET/17.30GMT).
Shorn of defensive duo Jerome Boateng and Javi Martinez for the foreseeable future, the champions were forced to dip into the transfer market on deadline day and bring in Serdar Tasci on loan, although even he is now a doubt after suffering concussion in training on Wednesday. Leverkusen's in-form front two of Chicharito and Stefan Kießling, both of whom found the net in a comfortable win over Hannover 96 at the BayArena last time out, will be looking to make the very most of Bayern's troubles in defence.
That said, Pep Guardiola's side have their own red-hot strike duo in the shape of Thomas Müller and Robert Lewandowski, the most prolific pairing ever at this stage of a season. The Poland international has scored every single one of his side's goals so far in 2016 - netting braces in a 2-1 win at Hamburger SV and in a 2-0 home victory against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
Bayern maintained their perfect start to the 2015/16 season with a Thomas Müller-inspired 3-0 victory at home to Leverkusen.
Matchday 20 - match facts
- Bayern have only won six of the last 13 against Leverkusen - by their own lofty standards, a poor return.
- The record champions struggle at the BayArena in particular, having only won once in the last six visits.
- Die Werkself beat Bayern 2-0 in May 2015 thanks to goals from Julian Brandt and Hakan Calhanoglu.
- His four goals so far in 2016 make Lewandowski's the Bundesliga's top scorer this calendar year.
- Not only are his 19 goals in as many games this term a new personal record, the Pole has also already beaten his tally from the entirety of last season (17).
- If he starts as expected, Lewandowski will make his 50th Bundesliga appearance for the Bavarians since switching from Borussia Dortmund in 2014.
Leverkusen: Leno - Hilbert, Tah, Toprak, Wendell - Kramer, Kampl - Bellarabi, Calhanoglu - Kießling, Hernandez
Absentees: Hilbert (muscle tear), Aranguiz (Achilles tendon), Boenisch (muscle tear), Bender, Kruse (both light training)
Bayern: Neuer - Lahm, Kimmich, Badstuber, Alaba - Alonso - Robben, Müller, Thiago, Douglas Costa - Lewandowski
Absentees: Boateng (groin), Rafinha (knee), Benatia, Ribery (both light training), Martinez (knee)