- HSV winless in 2017.
- Leverkusen won the previous meeting 3-1.
- New signings Walace and Bailey could feature.
Hamburg are yet to take a point in 2017 following defeats against VfL Wolfsburg and last week’s reverse away at relegation rivals FC Ingolstadt 04. After a strong end to 2016, the feel-good factor in the northern city has dissipated somewhat, although the arrival and imminent debut of Brazil international midfielder Walace will give fans cause for excitement.
Leverkusen started the year with an impressive victory over Hertha Berlin, but inconsistency continues to undermine them, as evidenced by Matchday 18’s 3-2 loss to Borussia Mönchengladbach, which came after Die Werkself led 2-0. Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez will be absent, but the visitors do have a new face to parade this weekend, with highly-rated Jamaican teenager Leon Bailey having arrived from Belgian club KRC Genk.
- Hamburg are enduring their worst-ever Bundesliga start having lost 11 of their 18 top-flight games to date.
- With eight losses in the current campaign to date, Bayer are likewise going through their worst start for 14 years.
- In the corresponding fixture this term, Joel Pohjanpalo registered a hat-trick inside the final 11 minutes of a 3-1 win for Bayer.
- Hamburg have won just two of their previous 15 encounters against Leverkusen, while Roger Schmidt’s men are unbeaten in their last four matches with HSV.