- Wolfsburg on longest winning streak of the season.
- Augsburg with just one win in last seven.
- Both teams looking to pull away from danger zone.
A fourth straight win is the aim for an improving VfL Wolfsburg, who will be keen to put some more daylight between themselves and the relegation zone while distancing their opponents with another victory on Saturday. Buoyed by an impressive debut by Paul-Georges Ntep on Matchday 17, Valerien Ismael’s men are in confident mood heading into the second half of the season.
The same cannot really be said for Augsburg, who have won just one of their last seven games and are consequently being sucked back into danger. With Alfred Finnbogason still sidelined, scoring goals is proving to be a problem which head coach Manuel Baum will be seeking to resolve as soon as possible as the Bavarians desperately need an injection of confidence.
- FCA's Manuel Baum lost for the first time as a Bundesliga coach on MD17 vs. Hoffenheim.
- Augsburg have never opened a calendar year with back-to-back losses.
- Mario Gomez has scored in two straight games for the Wolves for the first time this season.
- Augsburg have taken points from three of the last four away matches. (Five points in all.)
- Wolfsburg have won just one of their five matches at home to Augsburg.
- The wolves handed Bundesliga debuts to three current Augsburg players (Marwin Hitz, Caiuby, and Ja-Cheol Koo).