- Dortmund climbed to fourth thanks to three points on matchday 17.
- Mainz held back with goalless draw last weekend.
- Borussia boast impressive record against Mainz.
Despite not seeing any goals at the OPEL ARENA for the first time last weekend, Mainz fans will be hoping Matchday 18 will not see a repeat performance. Their goalless draw against 1. FC Köln was a disappointing start to 2017, something Martin Schmidt and his men will have to alter if they are to have any hope in playing European football next season.
Borussia Dortmund are fourth place and climbing following an emphatic start to 2017 with 2-1 win over SV Werder Bremen on Matchday 17. With questions as to who will fill Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's player upfront, Thomas Tuchel found Andre Schürrle to be the solution. Having opened his Dortmund account on Matchday 17, he will be looking to add to it this weekend.
- In each of the past five years, Dortmund have collected more points in the Rückrunde than they did in the first half of the season.
- Dortmund have conceded a goal in every away game so far this season. Eight teams have conceded fewer goals than BVB overall this campaign.
- Martin Schmidt and Thomas Tuchel have both taken an average of 1.4 points per game while managing Mainz.
- Tuchel has won all three Bundesliga matches that his teams have played against Schmidt.
- More goals have been scored in Mainz than at any other Bundesliga ground this season – 32 in eight matches.
Marco Reus has scored 10 Bundesliga goals against Mainz – more than against any other team.