- Leipzig keen to push on after outstanding 2016.
- Frankfurt keeping up pressure on top three.
- Home side's star performer Forsberg misses out with suspension.
The home side have been the surprise package of the season so far, ending 2016 second in the table on the back of an astonishing run of eight straight wins between late September and early December. They were rather put in their place by a 3-0 defeat to FC Bayern München on Matchday 16, but the easterners will be confident of starting the new year off on a positive note.
Frankfurt have also flown under the radar this season, meanwhile. Having won half their 16 Bundesliga games and conceded just 12 goals, the Eagles have enjoyed a superb campaign so far - especially after coming close to relegation last term - and need have no fear when travelling to Saxony.
- Leipzig struggled against Bayern last time out (five shots to the Reds' 24) and conceded three goals for the first time in their Bundesliga history, as well as losing Emil Forsberg to a red card.
- RB Leipzig have 36 points on the board from 16 games. All sides to have at least that total (converted to three points for a win where appropriate) at this stage of a season have gone on to finish in the top four.
- Leipzig are the best newly-promoted side of all time with 36 points and a goal difference of +16 from 16 matches. The East German club have outdone 1. FC Kaiserslautern (36 points, +15 goals), who became the only promoted side to win the Bundesliga title in 1997/98.
- Frankfurt’s 29 points from 16 games is their best return ever since the introduction of the three-points-for-a-win system.
- Just 12 goals conceded is also a club-best for Eintracht.
- Leipzig have won six of their seven games on home soil, only dropping points in their 1-1 draw with Borussia Mönchengladbach.
- Timo Werner scored his first goal against Frankfurt in September 2013 to become the youngest Bundesliga goalscorer in VfB Stuttgart’s history.
- Leipzig have won both of their Saturday evening games this season (1-0 vs Borussia Dortmund and 2-1 vs FC Schalke 04).