- Mid-table Mainz host 16th-placed Hamburg.
- 05ers winless in last three.
- Hamburg on two-match winning run.
Martin Schmidt's men have undone all their good early-season work with losses to Hertha Berlin, defending champions FC Bayern München and Borussia Mönchengladbach, but all is not yet lost if they can snap that streak against HSV. The 05ers sit comfortably in mid table for now, albeit only six points behind seventh-placed 1. FC Köln.
Hamburg's own season, meanwhile, is slowly starting to gather pace. After notching their first win of the season against SV Darmstadt 98, they went and did it again by beating FC Augsburg on Matchday 14, giving them sufficient confidence for their trip to Mainz. Depending on results elsewhere, the Red Shorts could move out of the bottom three with at least a draw on Matchday 15.
- Hamburg's season began poorly, but they are unbeaten in their last four and have won two matches in a row for the first time in 2016.
- Hamburg's win over Augsburg took them out of the automatic relegation places for the first time since Matchday 5.
- Defeat to Borussia Mönchengladbach on Matchday 14 means Mainz have lost three on the trot for the first time under Schmidt.
- Hamburg and Mainz are the only two teams in the Bundesliga to have had a player sent off four times this season.
- HSV winger Filip Kostic has registered two goals and one assist in his last four games.