- Freiburg without a win in four.
- Darmstadt have lost their last five.
- Interim coach Berndroth to make Bundesliga debut.
Meier was relieved of his duties as head coach following a miserly run that culminated in a fifth successive defeat - at the hands of Hamburger SV on Matchday 13. Academy chief Ramon Berndroth has been ushered in on an interim basis, looking to arrest a worrying slide that has seen the Lilies plummet to within one point of the automatic relegation zone.
Hosts Freiburg are sat comfortably in mid-table almost halfway into their first season back in the big time following a one-year absence. Die Breisgauer got off to a flying start - aided and abetted by four home wins on the trot - but they have lost three of their last four and were more than a touch fortunate to come away from Bayer 04 Leverkusen's BayArena with a draw last weekend.
- Freiburg and Darmstadt will meet for the first time in the Bundesliga.
- Die Breisgauer already have more points on the board after 13 matches (16) than they managed over the course of the entire Hinrunde in each of their previous two Bundesliga campaigns (2014/15 (15) and 2013/14 (14).
- Freiburg won their first four home games of the season, but have lost their last two.
- Darmstadt have lost five successive matches for the first time in their Bundesliga history.
- The Lilies are the only Bundesliga team yet to register a point on the road this season and have already lost more games on their travels (six) than they did in the entirety of 2015/16.
- Darmstadt have conceded as many headed goals (five) as they did in the whole of the 2015/16 campaign.