- Hamburg recorded first win of the season last time out.
- HSV a point adrift of the relegation play-off spot.
- Augsburg unbeaten in last four matches.
Much-improved under Markus Gisdol, Hamburg broke their duck at the 13th time of asking with victory in Darmstadt on Matchday 13. Although their first win of the 2016/17 campaign took the Red Shorts off the bottom of the table for the first time since Matchday 8, they remain three points adrift of outright safety - without a home win all season.
Visitors Augsburg are seven points better off in 12th place, following an impressive run of results comprising victory in Ingolstadt and successive draws against high-flying trio Hertha Berlin, 1. FC Köln and Eintracht Frankfurt. Die Fuggerstädter have flattered to deceive at home, but make the trip north having registered eight of their 14-point season tally on the road.
- Hamburg are one of three Bundesliga teams still awaiting their first home win of 2016/17.
- Other than Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig, HSV are the only other Bundesliga team to have scored at least twice in each of their last four matches.
- Gisdol has named the same starting line-up in each of Hamburg's last three games.
- Augsburg have lost only two of their six away games this season, with both fixtures ending in narrow 2-1 defeats.
- Since gaining promotion to the Bundesliga in 2011, Augsburg have amassed 30 more points than Hamburg.
- Augsburg have recorded more wins and kept more clean sheets (both three) in Hamburg than away to any other Bundesliga club.