- Both teams currently tied on 17 points in mid-table.
- Schalke unbeaten in last four home games.
- Leverkusen with two away wins all season.
Schalke's superb 12-game unbeaten run in all competitions came to an end last week as they finished on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline away to RB Leipzig. Still, coach Markus Weinzierl will be encouraged by another strong showing from his charges, and will be confident the result was merely an anomaly on a trajectory that is otherwise pointing pleasingly upwards.
Leverkusen, meanwhile, are hoping to make it a hat-trick of consecutive victories at the VELTINS Arena. Such a result would be a welcome boon for Roger Schmidt's charges as they look to end a three-game winless streak in the Bundesliga. They went tantalisingly close to earning all three points on Matchday 13, but missed a penalty in a 1-1 draw at home to SC Freiburg.
- Before their defeat to Leipzig, Schalke had picked up 13 points from their previous five games.
- Schalke forward Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting has five goals in 11 games against Bayer, more than he has against any other team.
- Royal Blues coach Markus Weinzierl and Leverkusen cohort Roger Schmidt completed their senior coaching licenses together in 2011.
- FC Bayern München are the only Bundesliga club with a better record in Gelsenkirchen than Leverkusen.
- Leverkusen have won on their last two trips to Schalke but they have never managed three consecutive wins at the Veltins Arena.
- Bayer have missed all four of their penalties this season. Schalke missed four out of eight last term.