- James 'The Coach' is hoping to make it four wins in a row.
- Flo 'The Scout' looking for his first Project 50 win.
- 'The Scout' and 'The Expert' both pick Vedad Ibisevic.
After Matt ‘The Expert’ kicked off the Official Fantasy Bundesliga experts’ ‘Project 50’ challenge with three straight wins, James ‘The Coach’ has since taken charge with three consecutive victories of his own.
So, how does Project 50 work? With a budget of 50M, our three experts must choose two defenders, two midfielders and a striker in the hopes of racking up the biggest points tally.
Marco Reus and Michael Gregoritsch proved inspired choices for ‘The Coach’ last weekend with both amassing an impressive 16 points each. Can Flo ‘The Scout’ pick up his first Project 50 win this weekend? Will Matt 'The Expert' return to winning ways? Or will James maintain his dominance of recent weeks? Here are our experts’ five-a-side squads:
James 'The Coach' Thorogood
Three and easy! Gregoritsch and Reus spared my blushes last week seeing as Chicharito didn't score as many points as I'd hoped. This weekend I’ve had to call an audible because Flo chose three of the same players as me and we just can’t have that! Nevertheless, I’m still confident of being the first expert to reach four wins!
- Pascal Stenzel (DF, SC Freiburg, 1.8M): I know, Flo picked him too, but Stenzel is the best low-budget option this weekend. He’s picked up six points or more in six of his ten starts this season, but I have a feeling he’ll be pushing double digits at home to Darmstadt.
- Niklas Stark (DF, Hertha Berlin, 9.85M): A first timer in my Project 50 squad, Stark has been a mainstay of my real squad in recent weeks. Playing in midfield, the 21-year-old has hit double digits in three of his last six outings and is that little bit cheaper than Mitchell Weiser!
- Alessandro Schöpf (MF, FC Schalke 04, 7.85M): Not wanting to pick Reus or Gregoritsch for a second week in a row, I thought I’d bring Schöpf back into the fold. He only picked up three points last time out, but I expect a vast improvement at home to Bayer 04 Leverkusen.
- Naby Keita (MF, RB Leipzig, 13.85M): With RB Leipzig on the road against Ingolstadt, it’s hard to imagine their winning streak coming to an end and Keita, who has averaged 12 points a game since Matchday 8, is a must-have in midfield for me.
- Robert Lewandowski (FW, FC Bayern München, 16.35M): Matchday 14 seems to be the perfect opportunity for me to pick Lewandowski for the first time in Project 50. He’s been back amongst the goals and should thrive at home against a struggling Wolfsburg side.
Matt 'The Expert' Howarth
I was confident I would end my barren Project 50 run last weekend, but it was back to the drawing board following a third successive victory for the Coach. It can't last forever, though, James…
- David Abraham (DF, Eintracht Frankfurt, 7.95M): Bastian Oczipka has earned himself a regular place in my Official Fantasy Bundesliga XI, but I’ve had my eye on Abraham for quite a while. Strong in the tackle and almost guaranteed to play the full 90 minutes, I’m hoping the Argentine will reach double figures against Hoffenheim on Friday.
- Konstantinos Stafylidis (DF, FC Augsburg, 7.0M): Another player with a phenomenal record in the challenges department, Stafylidis’s Augsburg face a difficult trip to an improving HSV side. Die Fuggerstädter are tough to break down, however, and Stafylidis in particular could be in for another successful afternoon in Fantasy terms.
- Marco Reus (MF, Borussia Dortmund, 14.15M): Not only has Reus been in superb form since his return from injury, he also boasts an impressive record against the Billy Goats. Thomas Tuchel’s side lost their last away game in the league, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they leave Cologne with all three points.
- Diego Demme (MF, RB Leipzig, 6.9M): Ingolstadt will be fighting tooth and nail to make life as difficult as possible for the league leaders on Saturday, but I’m backing Demme to win the majority of his challenges at the Audi Sportpark and help Leipzig consolidate their position at the top of the table.
- Vedad Ibisevic (FW, Hertha Berlin, 11.3): Ibisevic scored twice in the Old Lady’s last home game against 1. FSV Mainz 05. The 32-year-old is set to return to the side following a one-match suspension and I’m expecting him to add to his eight league goals this season.
Flo 'The Scout' Reinecke
Things are going swimmingly for me at the top of the expert’s Official Fantasy Bundesliga league, but Project 50 is proving a thorn in my side. Nevertheless, I still have a really good feeling about this weekend. That may have something to do with picking three players that I recommended in my feature on players’ guaranteed to pick up points before the end of the year.
- Mitchell Weiser (DF, Hertha Berlin, 11.5M): Having missed the last three games through injury, Weiser will be back in action against Bremen and boasts huge point-scoring potential, especially considering he should adopt an attacking role.
- Pascal Stenzel (DF, SC Freiburg, 1.8M): Stenzel played on the right wing against Leverkusen and, while he may slot back in at right-back at home to Darmstadt, his price-to-performance ratio this season is virtually unbeatable.
- Marco Fabian (MF, Eintracht Frankfurt, 10.95M): The Mexican megastar has served his one-match suspension and will be back in Eintracht’s starting line-up on Friday night. Hoffenheim offer up tough opposition, but Fabian has proven this season, notably against Bayern, that he produces his best form in the most important matches.
- Arjen Robben (MF, FC Bayern München, 13.95M): After his outstanding performance against Mainz last time out, Robben is in store for big returns. At home to a struggling Wolfsburg side, I’m backing the Dutchman to add to his 63-point tally.
- Vedad Ibisevic (FW, Hertha Berlin, 11.3M): Compared to the Bundesliga’s other top goalscorers, the Bosnian is a real bargain. Up against the most porous backline in the Bundesliga, I can’t imagine Ibisevic will pass up the opportunity to get on the scoresheet on home soil.
Watch: Official Fantasy Bundesliga Top 5 Personal Bests