- Freiburg on longest winless streak in just shy of six years.
- Bayer's home form of some concern, after three straight defeats.
- Leverkusen with lowest points haul after 12 games in ten years.
Back-to-back Bundesliga defeats to RB Leipzig and FC Bayern München stalled a revival which had seen wins against VfL Wolfsburg and SV Darmstadt 98 for Roger Schmidt's Leverkusen. Die Werkself now sit eight points adrift of the coveted top four, while the club's leading scorer Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez is without a goal since Matchday 6.
Visitors Freiburg appear to have delved even deeper into the dark woods of the Black Forest, meanwhile, with three straight defeats undoing the good work of back-to-back wins over FC Augsburg and SV Werder Bremen. What is more, Christian Streich's men have only collected three points from a possible 15 on the road so far this season.
- Freiburg have lost their last three games, their longest winless streak in just under six years.
- Leverkusen have lost two of their last three encounters at the BayArena.
- Freiburg have lost five of their last six matches on the road and won on one of their last nine trips to Leverkusen.
- Sixteen points after 12 games is Bayer 04’s worst start to a season in 10 years when Michael Skibbe was in charge.
- Hakan Calhanoglu has already scored as many goals this season as he did in the entirety of 2016/17 (3).
- Ömer Toprak and Admir Mehmedi were both previously on the books at Freiburg.