- Mainz bidding for second straight win over Bayern.
- Martin Schmidt's men won 2-1 at Allianz Arena in March.
- Bayern can return to top of Bundesliga at least for a night with win on Friday.
On 2 March, the 05ers threw a spanner in Bayern's works with a stunning 2-1 win at the Allianz Arena. Martin Schmidt masterminded that tactical triumph against the record champions and he will hope to have found the key once again to unlocking the Bayern door after Matchday 12's defeat at Hertha Berlin left his side five points off the top six.
Bayern stalled a run of three games without a win in all competitions by beating Bayer 04 Leverkusen last weekend, but if they are to move back to the Bundesliga summit on Friday night, they know they need an improvement this weekend. Mats Hummels admitted it had not been perfect against Leverkusen, but only the result matters once again this Friday for Carlo Ancelotti's men.
- Mainz have won four of their 20 Bundesliga games against Bayern, Niko Bungert is the only player to have featured in all four.
- Bayern have fewer points to their name (27) than they had after 12 matches in any of the last five seasons.
- Carlo Ancelotti’s charges have twice dropped points from winning positions, which only happened once in 2015/16.
- The record titleholders have kept just one clean sheet in their last seven outings.
- Bayern are at risk of not topping the table during the winter break for the first time in six seasons.
- Thomas Müller and Robert Lewandowski have only chipped in with seven goals this season. The duo had 25 goals to their names at the same stage of last season.