- Spoils shared in Cologne.
- Billy Goats remain unbeaten at home this season.
- Augsburg now three consecutive games without defeat.
1. FC Köln remain unbeaten at home this season following a 0-0 draw with FC Augsburg, although the Billy Goats will be disappointed not to have taken all three points after a dominant display on Saturday afternoon.
Fourth in the table going into this match and with the second-best defence in the Bundesliga, Köln started authoritatively and immediately went on the front foot. Frederik Sörensen hit the post early on, and there were further chances for Yuya Osako and Anthony Modeste as the hosts looked to make their pressure count. Augsburg's best effort was a free-kick from Konstantinos Stafylidis that Thomas Kessler did well to punch clear in a goalless first half.
The match was more evenly balanced after the break, but with both sides so well organised in defence there were few genuine goalscoring opportunities. The best chance of the half fell to Köln substitute Marcel Hartel, but his excellent volley from ten yards out was cleared off the line. It remained hard-fought until the final whistle, but ultimately neither side was able to find a way through.
Man of the match
Jonas Hector may now be first-choice left-back for Germany, but here he shone in central midfield, covering more ground (11.22 kilometres) than any of his team-mates and providing a willing and reliable link between defence and attack.
The fact that Köln are in the top third of the standings is no accident. Peter Stöger's side a very well drilled at the back and have conceded just twice in six home games this term. With over a third of the campaign now gone, they look like they could be serious European contenders at the end of the season.
- Köln's Hartel made his Bundesliga debut in this match.
- The hosts had 18 shots on goal compared to Augsburg's 13.
- For the first time this season, Köln failed to score at home.
1. FC Köln: Kessler – Sörensen, Mavraj, Heintz, Rausch – Risse, Höger (Rudnevs 57'), Hector (c), Zoller (Hartel 65') – Modeste, Osako (Özcan 85')
Coach: Peter Stöger
FC Augsburg: Hitz – Verhaegh (c), Janker, Hinteregger, Stafylidis – Kohr, Baier – Schmid (Teigl 71'), Altintop (Kacar 90+2'), Max (Usami 78') – Ji
Coach: Dirk Schuster