- Matt 'The Expert' living up to his name in Project 50.
- Hoffenheim's Demirbay features in all three teams.
- Flo 'The Scout' hoping two lesser-known players will lead him to glory.
For the third week in a row, Matt 'The Expert' Howarth won the "Project 50" challenge between our three Official Fantasy Bundesliga insiders.
The name of the game is simple. With a budget of 50M, they have to pick two defenders, two midfielders and a striker. On Matchday 10 Matt's quintet landed him 41 points, two ahead of Flo 'The Scout' Reinecke, who managed to stay ahead of his two colleagues in the overall standings. Which players do they have their eyes on this weekend?
Matt 'The Expert' Howarth
Time to get back to winning ways this weekend! Here are my fantastic five…
- Nico Elvedi (DF, Borussia Mönchengladbach, 7.1M): Anthony Modeste has been in breathtaking form of late, but Gladbach are a different animal in front of their own fans and I’m expecting Elvedi and Co to emerge victorious in a hard-fought Rhine Derby.
- Mitchell Weiser (DF, Hertha Berlin, 11.8M): Weiser picked up 16 points against Gladbach on Matchday 10. He may not get as many at the WWK Arena this weekend, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the former FC Bayern München star reaches double figures once again.
- Sebastian Rudy (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 10.8M): I made the mistake of leaving Rudy out of my XI last weekend, thinking he would struggle against Bayern. If you can pick up eight points at the Allianz Arena, Sebastian, you should be able to break the ten-point barrier at home to bottom-of-the-table Hamburger SV.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 3.7M): Demirbay’s goal against Carlo Ancelotti’s side last time out will live long in the memory, but the former Fortuna Düsseldorf man won his fair share of challenges in Munich, too. A similar display against HSV would be much appreciated!
- Robert Lewandowski (FW, FC Bayern München, 16.05M): I’m backing Lewandowski to add to his current tally of four league goals against former employers Borussia Dortmund on Saturday. There won’t be a lot to choose between the two sides at the SIGNAL IDUNA PARK, but Lewandowski could prove the difference.
James 'The Coach' Thorogood
"Live by the sword, die by the sword,” he said! Like a bad relationship, I’d like to leave Matchday 10 in the past. Now it’s about healing the wounds left behind by that sword and hopefully getting my first win in Project 50.
- Mitchell Weiser (DF, Hertha Berlin, 11.8M) : The highest scoring defender in the game because he’s playing out of position in midfield, Hertha should be good for another clean sheet against Augsburg, but even if that’s not the case, Weiser should still score well in the Official Fantasy Bundesliga.
- Jean-Philippe Gbamin (DF, 1. FSV Mainz 05, 8.2M) : Gbamin has impressed me greatly since joining Mainz from RC Lens in the summer. A battling midfielder who wins plenty of challenges, he’s a defender in the Official Fantasy Bundesliga, but plays in midfield and has reaped the rewards even if Mainz have lost.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 3.7M): There are few players that challenge Demirbay for the title of ‘Surprise of the Season’. He has effortlessly adapted to life in the top flight and, if his performance against FC Bayern München is anything to go by, then big things can be expected of the 23-year-old especially against Hamburg.
- Marco Fabian (MF, Eintracht Frankfurt, 10.95M): The Mexican megastar has been a standout performer for the impressive Frankfurt this season and, while their away game against Werder Bremen is not a straight forward encounter, I’d back Fabian to maintain his current rich vein of form.
- Sandro Wagner (FW, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 14M) : Hoffenheim don’t have one individual that stands out above the rest, but for me Wagner is the man keeping this cohesive unit as tight-nit as it is. On top of that he scores goals and wins an average of 13 challenges, so what’s not to like against the side bottom of the table?
Flo 'The Scout' Reinecke
Matt and James are banking on plenty of tried and trusted players. How unimaginative of them. In my selection are two hitherto unknown gems who will lead me to victory this week.
- Leon Balogun (DF, 1. FSV Mainz 05, 3.9M): The first of my insider's tips. The Nigeria international has struggled with a number of injuries, but is now fit again and set to play against SC Freiburg. He his very strong in the tackle, so will win me a lot of points.
- Jannik Vestergaard (DF, Borussia Mönchengladbach, 12.2M): The Dane is a man-mountain, and exactly the kind of player you want in a febrile derby against local rivals 1. FC Köln, where there will be plenty of challenges flying around. On top of that, sooner or later he's bound to score his first goal for Gladbach.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 3.7M): Yes, I know, how unimaginative of me. But I also want to win this challenge and Demirbay is essential to do so.
- Maximilian Arnold (MF, VfL Wolfsburg, 12.2M): The second of my previously unearthed diamonds. Arnold throws himself into countless challenges and is also a threat in front of goal – the perfect combination of qualities for any fantasy manager.
- Jhon Cordoba (FW, 1. FSV Mainz 05, 12.8M): I've been waiting for this hugely-talented Colombian to explode for the past few weeks, but now the conditions really are perfect for him. Opponents Freiburg have been poor away from home this season, and Cordoba has had a fortnight to gather his strength during the international break.