- Hamburg yet to win this season.
- Hosts are without a goal since Matchday 2.
- Dortmund have drawn each of their last three outings.
Hamburg are still without a win and rooted firmly to the foot of the Bundesliga table, with the Red Shorts’ latest mishap a 3-0 defeat to 1. FC Köln. Bobby Wood’s straight red card while that match was still level did not help, but if they can start well against Dortmund then the atmosphere at the Volkparkstadion could kick in to boost the home side.
Dortmund have dropped points in their last four league outings, drawing three in a row, culminating in the goalless Revierderby on Matchday 9. They can count themselves unlucky not to have beaten FC Schalke 04 in a compelling clash, with Ousmane Dembele striking the crossbar in the second half. Facing the league’s back-markers presents Thomas Tuchel’s side with a real chance to make up ground on the sides above them in the table, however.
- Hamburg have only two points from nine games for the first time in their Bundesliga history.
- Markus Gisdol is still seeking his first win as Hamburg coach.
- Hamburg have not found the net in their last seven matches.
- HSV legend Uwe Seeler celebrates his 80th birthday on the day of the match.
- Borussia Dortmund are without a win in their last four Bundesliga matches.
- Dortmund have never gone on to win the league after picking up 15 points from their opening nine games.