Bayern Munich confirmed their place in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals with a 3-1 win away to Turkish side Besiktas in their Round of 16 second leg tie on Wednesday, sealing an 8-1 aggregate victory.
Besiktas 1-3 Bayern Munich
Goals: 0-1 Thiago (18'), 0-2 (Gönül o.g. 46'), 1-2 Love (59'), 1-3 Wagner (84')
Despite going into the game with a 5-0 advantage from the first leg, Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes fielded a strong starting line-up in Istanbul, and his charges began brightly in an effort to silence the home crowd. It did not take long for the visitors to break through, with Thiago tapping in at the back post from Thomas Müller's right-wing cross in the 18th minute. The rest of the half was evenly contested, but neither side went close to adding to the scoreline.
That changed within seconds of the second half, when Rafinha scampered down the right wing and curled in a cross towards the back post that Gokhan Gönül inadvertently diverted into his own net. Bayern subsequently eased off, which allowed Besiktas back into the game and it was no surprise when Vagner Love reduced the deficit with a smart finish from 12 yards. Mustafa Pekternek could have levelled the score on the night shortly afterwards, but fired wide from close range. Substitute Sandro Wagner added a late third for Bayern as Heynckes' charges eased into the next round with minimal fuss.
- Bayern have now won six Champions League games in a row.
- Heynckes becomes the first coach in history to win 11 consecutive Champions League matches (stretching back to his previous stint at Bayern in 2012/13). -
- Thiago's strike was Bayern's 100th goal in all competitions in 2017/18.
- The Bundesliga leaders are into the Champions League quarter-finals for a seventh successive season.
- Bayern have scored 31 goals in their last seven round of 16 matches (an average 4.42 goals per game).
Besiktas: Zengin (c) - Gönül, Medel, Uysal, Erkin; Quaresma, Özyakup, Arslan (Hutchinson 60'), Lens (Talisca 60'); Love (Babel 75'), Pektemek
Unused subs: Fabri, Adriano, Negredo, Aksoy
Absentees: Pepe (toe), Vida (suspended) COACH: Senol Gunes
Coach: Senol Gunes
Bayern: Ulreich - Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels (Süle HT), Alaba - Martinez, Vidal - Müller (c), Thiago (James 35'), Ribery - Lewandowski (Wagner 68')
Unused subs: Starke, Bernat, Rudy, Kimmich
Absentees: Coman (ankle), Neuer (foot), Robben (pinched nerve)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes