Even without the injured James Rodriguez, Bayern created wave after wave of chances in a largely one-sided first half. Hertha defender Jordan Torunarigha cleared a scuffed Mats Hummels shot off the line, before chasing back to deflect and clear a Robert Lewandowski strike that had Rune Jarstein beaten. Thiago drove wide and Franck Ribery blazed over after being served the ball on a plate by Arjen Robben as the shot count continued to rise, with Vladimir Darida stinging the palms of Sven Ulreich from range with Hertha's only effort of any real note.
Bayern proceeded to pepper the Hertha goal as Jarstein batted away a David Alaba free-kick, Torunarigha put his body on the line to deny Lewandowski from close range and Lewandowski headed wide from six yards. Salomon Kalou's curling strike into the midriff of Ulreich provided only momentary respite for the visitors, but the Old Lady put up stern resistance - even after Jupp Heynckes threw on Kingsley Coman, Sandro Wagner and Arturo Vidal - as the runaway Bundesliga leaders failed to win for the first time since losing to Borussia Mönchengladbach on Bundesliga Matchday 13.
Man of the Match
In the right place at the right time on a number of occasions, Torunarigha thwarted a number of sure-fire goals as the defending champions failed to score in the Bundesliga for the first time since Matchday 4.
- Lewandowski made his 250th Bundesliga appearance. Only Gerd Müller scored more goals in his first 250 top-flight outings (216 to 171).
- Lewandowski would have gone into the record books if he had scored a 12th successive league goal at the Allianz Arena.
- Bayern are unbeaten in their last 14 Bundesliga matches against Hertha (W11, D3) and have not lost at home to the Berlin club in over 40 years.
- Hertha have only lost one of their last nine away games in the Bundesliga.
- Kalou was part of the Chelsea team that beat Bayern on penalties at the Allianz Arena to win the 2012 Champions League.
- Hertha have kept more clean sheets (eight) than Bayern (six) in their seven Bundesliga outings this year.
Bayern: Ulreich – Rafinha, Süle, Hummels, Alaba – Martinez, Thiago (Vidal 75') – Robben, Müller (c) (Wagner 71'), Ribery (Coman 68') – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Starke, Bernat, Rudy, Vidal, Tolisso
Absentees: Neuer (foot), James (calf), Boateng (ill)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes
Hertha: Jarstein - Pekarik (c), Stark, Torunarigha, Plattenhardt - Darida, Lustenberger - Lazaro, Leckie, Kalou (Duda 80') - Selke (Esswein 71')
Unused subs: Kraft, Skjelbred, Mittelstädt, Weiser, Dardai
Absentees: Kade (ankle), Schieber (muscle problems), Maier (ill), Ibisevic (nose)
Coach: Pal Dardai
Watch: Robben critical after Bayern fire a blank