With just an uncomfortable four-point cushion between themselves and the relegation play-off place, Bayer Leverkusen can ill afford anything other than a win at home to Schalke on Friday (kick-off 20:30CEST/18:30GMT).
Stefan Kießling starts up front in place of Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez for Leverkusen, while Kai Havertz is unavailable since he is sitting school exams.
Leverkusen: Leno – Hilbert, Jedvaj, Toprak, Henrichs – Brandt, Aranguiz, Kampl, Bellarabi – Kießling, Volland
Coach: Tayfun Korkut
Absentees: Calhanoglu (CAS suspension). Bender (ankle)
Schalke: Fährmann – Coke, Höwedes, Badstuber, Kolasinac – Stambouli, Bentaleb – Schöpf, Goretzka, Caligiuri - Burgstaller
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Absentees: Baba (knee), Kehrer (suspended), Naldo (groin), Choupo-Moting (knee), Embolo (light training)
- With Schalke just two points and a place ahead of ahead of them, Leverkusen will overtake the Royal Blues with a win.
- Die Werkself are without a win in four home games, their longest such drought since 2009.
- They are, however, unbeaten in their previous five matches against Schalke, winning four.
- From a possible 42 points away from home this season, Schalke have only taken ten.
- It should be a feisty game: the previous 65 league meetings have been peppered with 18 dismissals.
- Markus Weinzierl has failed to beat Leverkusen in nine attempts as a Bundesliga coach, losing six.