Augsburg 2-3 Bremen
Goals: 0-1 Kruse (34’), 0-2 M. Eggestein (36’), 1-2 Koo (45+1’), 2-2 Max (47’), 2-3 Klaassen (75')
After a cautious start, Augsburg were first to threaten with Michael Gregoritsch charging forward and fizzing a left-footed shot just past the far post. The Austria midfielder-cum-striker nearly broke the deadlock soon after, but his free-kick was well collected by Jiri Pavlenka in the Bremen goal. The pendulum swung midway through the half, and after Claudio Pizarro had flashed a warning shot into Fabien Giefer’s gloves, Max Kruse headed home for 1-0 having found himself unmarked at the back post. Maximilian Eggestein then doubled the Green-White’s advantage, drilling home a wicked shot from the edge of the box. It was rather against the run of play, then, when Koo Ja-cheol made it 2-1, as impressive as his chest-then-volley finish was on the stroke of half-time.
The second half was less than two minutes old when Manuel Baum’s men drew back onto level terms. Max, so often the provider of assists, was on the receiving end this time, finishing off Andre Hahn’s cross with a first-time shot. Bremen had the last laugh, though, with Klaassen the first to react after a spill from Giefer. Gregoritsch headed a late chance against Pavlenka's post at the other end, and Bremen held on to win 3-1.
- This was Augsburg captain Daniel Baier’s 250th Bundesliga appearance, and 300th in all competitions for Die Fuggerstädter.
- Koo’s goal was his first since early February, when he helped Augsburg to a 3-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt.
- Augsburg have won only one of their last seven home matches, dating back to last season.
- Eggestein has now scored two goals in four games. It took the midfielder until March to reach the same haul last season.
- Kept at bay today, Pizarro remains the Bundesliga’s all-time leading foreign-born goalscorer with 192. Augsburg’s starting XI on Saturday has 96 between them.
- Pizarro had scored three goals in four meetings with Augsburg, including two in Bremen colours, before Saturday’s clash.
Augsburg: Giefer – Framberger, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max – Khedira (Cordova 81’), Baier (c) – Richter (Caiuby 42’), Hahn, Koo (Moravek 67’) – Gregoritsch
Unused subs: Leneis, Götze, Schmid, Danso
Absentees: Finnbogason, Jakob (both knee), Jensen, Ji (both ankle), Schieber (loose joint)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Bremen: Pavlenka - Gebre Selassie, Veljkovic, Moisander, Augustinsson – M. Eggestein, Bargfrede, Klaassen – Kruse (c) (J. Eggestein 87’), Pizarro (Harnik 69’), Kainz (Möhwald 83’)
Unused subs: Plogmann, Rashica, Sahin, Friedl
Absentees: Bartels (Achilles), Drobny (calf), Johannsson (ankle), Kapino (thigh), Käuper (ankle), Zetterer (pseudarthrosis), Osako (ill)
Coach: Florian Kohfeldt