Goals: 0-1 Gomez (27')
Searching for their first away victory in the Bundesliga since February 2016, Tayfun Korkut’s side took a deserved lead on 27 minutes, Gomez slotting into the far corner after Erik Thommy’s free-kick had rebounded to the veteran forward on the edge of the penalty area. Augsburg did not let their heads drop, though, and thought they had levelled when Michael Gregoritsch prodded home from close range, but the referee ruled the goal out for offside following consultation with the VAR.
Incensed, the hosts came out with all guns blazing at the start of the second period. Gregoritsch forced Ron-Robert Zieler into action with a snap-shot from inside the box, before a trademark Philipp Max cross was very nearly headed in at the back post by Caiuby. VfB continued to threaten on the counterattack, however, and only a fine one-handed stop by Marvin Hitz prevented Gomez from doubling the visitors’ advantage on 64 minutes. Daniel Ginczek spurned a golden opportunity to seal the victory ten minutes later, but Korkut’s charges saw out the closing stages to secure their first top-flight away win in over two years.
- This was Stuttgart’s first victory over Augsburg since Matchday 14 of the 2012/13 season.
- It was also the first game in which VfB have found the net against die Fuggerstädter since April 2015.
- The Swabians have now kept two clean sheets on the trot in the league.
- Augsburg, by contrast, have failed to score in both their last two league matches.
- Gomez has now scored six goals in seven league matches against Augsburg.
- Badstuber has never lost to Augsburg in the Bundesliga (4W, 1D).
- The former Bayern man was deployed as a defensive midfielder for the very first time in his career on Matchday 23.
Watch: Gomez: "We should've won 4-0"
Augsburg: Hitz – Framberger (Schmid 79'), Danso (Cordova 58'), Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Baier (c) – Heller (Moravek 58'), Koo, Caiuby – Gregoritsch
Unused subs: Luthe, Parker, Janker, Kacar
Absentees: Gouweleeuw (knee), Finnbogason (calf), Richter (ankle), Opare (special leave)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Stuttgart: Zieler – Baumgartl, Pavard, Badstuber – Beck, Ascacibar (Kaminski 90+1'), Gentner (c), Insua – Ginczek (Özcan 89'), Gomez, Thommy (Aogo 69')
Unused subs: Grahl, Donis, Akolo, Mangala
Absentees: Mane (ankle), Zimmermann (knee)
Coach: Tayfun Korkut