After riding an early wave of sustained Augsburg pressure, Leipzig thought they had won a penalty when Timo Werner went down in the box following a tangle with Jeffrey Gouweleeuw. Match referee Tobias Welz initially pointed to the spot, only to overturn his decision following lengthy consultation with the VAR, in favour of an offside call in the build-up. Andreas Luthe was eventually made to work, the Augsburg stopper instinctively pushing away Jean-Kevin Augustin's near-post flick late in a nip-tuck first half.
Augustin was at it again soon after the restart, but his shot was straight into the side-netting. Leipzig went closer still through Marcel Halstenberg, whose fiercely struck free-kick brought a flying save from Luthe. Augsburg found a second wind as Caiuby saw a goal-bound header cleared off the line by Stefan Ilsanker, before the linesman's flag denied Michael Gregoritsch what would have been his third goal of the season. Willi Orban went within a toe of nicking all three points for the visitors in added time as Leipzig's three-match winning run ground to a halt.
- Leipzig captain Willi Orban won 100 per cent of his duels.
- Augsburg kept their first clean sheet in the Bundesliga in 11 games.
- Cunha has scored four times in the UEFA Europa League this season, but is yet to register in the Bundesliga.
- Leipzig are unbeaten in their last seven.
- Yussuf Poulsen heads the Leipzig scoring charts so far this season with five Bundesliga goals. Augustin and Werner are next on the list, on four apiece.
- Rangnick’s charges are the third-highest scorers in the league in 2018/19 (16), behind leaders Borussia Dortmund (27) and Eintracht Frankfurt (19).
Augsburg: Luthe – Schmid, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Baier (c) – Hahn Gregoritsch (Danso 90+3'), Caiuby – Finnbogason (Koo 58')
Unused subs: Giefer, Götze, Moravek, Richter, Framberger
Absentees: Jakob (knee), Ji (ankle), Schieber (joint mouse), Stafylidis (muscular)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Mukiele (Klostermann 82'), Orban (c), Konate, Halstenberg – Kampl (Sabitzer 86'), Ilsanker, Demme, Augustin - Werner (Cunha 70'), Poulsen
Unused subs: Mvogo, Upamecano, Bruma, Laimer
Absentees: Forsberg (groin), Nukan (ankle)
Coach: Ralf Rangnick