An Alfred Finnbogason hat-trick earned Augsburg a 3-0 win over Cologne and left the Billy Goats rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga, without a point to their name.
Goals: 1-0 Finnbogason (22'), 2-0 Finnbogason (33'), 3-0 Finnbogason (90+3')
Jonas Hector made an important recovery from Finnbogason to keep Cologne on terms, but the Icelandic forward found room to head in the opening goal moments later. He was laid his and Augsburg's second on a plate by Hector, who fouled Marcel Heller inside the penalty area and left his side with work to do.
Cologne inevitably had to attack in the second half, but they left gaps which Augsburg could and perhaps should have exploited. Finnbogason hit the post on one of their breaks, going agonisingly close to a hat-trick, while Daniel Baier created opportunities which went begging. His persistence paid off in stoppage time, though, as he pounced when Sergio Cordova's shot hit the post to complete his hat-trick, and compound Cologne's woes.
Watch: Finnbogason reflects on his three-goal salvo
Man of the match
With four of Augsburg's five goals so far this season, Finnbogason underlined his importance to Augsburg with a first Bundesliga hat-trick for the Icelandic ace, who was a constant threat to the Cologne defence.
- Finnbogason scored three goals in a Bundesliga game for the first time, in his 30th appearance.
- He has put Augsburg 1-0 up eight times in a row and nine of Augsburg's last 1-0 leads bear his name.
- Augsburg are now unbeaten in the last five Bundesliga home games (three wins, two draws).
- Cologne have not won any of their last nine away matches, collecting only three points in that time.
- Augsburg's longest unbeaten streak against any team is their current run against Cologne (eight matches).
Augsburg: Hitz - Opare, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max - Baier (c), Khedira (71' Moravek) – Heller (90' Thommy), Gregoritsch (66' Cordova), Caiuby – Finnbogason
Coach: Manuel Baum
Cologne: Horn – Klünter (73' Guirassy), Sörensen (46' Mere), Heintz, Hector - Höger, Lehmann (c) - Zoller, Osako, Bittencourt - Cordoba
Coach: Peter Stöger
Watch: Sergio Cordova on his relationship with Finnbogason