Munich - Four Bundesliga-based players have been named on the ten-man shortlist for the 2013/14 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award.
Ten become three
Last year’s winner Franck Ribery missed the cut, although his four club mates - , , and - make FC Bayern München the best represented team from the European leagues.
The Bayern quartet will now go into a second round of balloting to produce the three final nominees, who will be announced on 14 August. The winner will then be revealed during the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League group stage draw on 28 August.
Ten-man shortlist in alphabetical order:
• Diego Costa (Spain, Club Atlético de Madrid – now at Chelsea FC)
• Angel Di Maria (Argentina, Real Madrid CF)
• Philipp Lahm (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Lionel Messi (Argentina, FC Barcelona)
• Thomas Müller (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Manuel Neuer (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Arjen Robben (Netherlands, FC Bayern München)
• James Rodriguez (Colombia, AS Monaco FC)
• Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid CF)
• Luis Suarez (Uruguay, Liverpool FC – now at FC Barcelona)