Bundesliga

Calhanoglu commits to new Hamburg deal

Hamburg - Hakan Calhanoglu has committed himself to Hamburger SV until 2018 by signing a two-year contract extension.

Making a statement

The Turkish international, who has been at the club since 2012, reached an agreement with the northern Germans this week.

"I always said that I'm happy in Hamburg and with HSV," the 19-year-old attacking midfielder said. "I would like to play for this club in the Bundesliga for a long time yet and I want to become a regular in the team. I also wanted to make a statement in our difficult situation." Hamburg slipped into the bottom two of the Bundesliga last weekend after a

3-0 defeat to 1899 Hoffenheim

.

Calhanoglu

has scored five goals in 18 appearances for the Red Shorts so far this season. He spent last year on loan at Karlsruher SC, scoring 17 goals and setting up a further 12 in their successful promotion to Bundesliga 2. Calhanoglu made his Turkey debut against Andorra on 6 September 2013 and is already on his way to becoming an established name for club and country.

'Great prospects'

"We're delighted to have tied down a young player with great prospects in the long-term," said Oliver Kreuzer, Hamburg's sporting director. Calhanoglu's place in the side to face Hertha Berlin at the weekend is in jeopardy, however, after he took a knock to his Achilles tendon in training on Tuesday. Using the hashtags "making a statement" and "only HSV", Calhanoglu also announced the decision to extend his contract on Twitter: