Only goal difference is keeping Thorsten Fink's men out of the top six at present, while Eintracht Frankfurt are only two points better off in the fourth and final UEFA Champions League spot with eight games left on the Bundesliga calendar.
- In the , Hamburg sit fifth with 14 points.
- Only Bayern Munich (one) have conceded fewer goals from distance than Hamburg (two).
- Hamburg have given away only three goals in the final quarter of Bundesliga matches this season - a number bettered only by Bayern (one).
- HSV already have more points on the board now (38) than they accrued during the whole of last season (36).
- No team in the top half of the table has lost as many games as HSV (ten).
- Since the winter break, Hamburg have lost more games (four) in which they have conceded in the opening 15 minutes than any other side.
- Not a has managed to find the net as a substitute this season.
- Misplaced passes and communication breakdowns have seen Hamburg concede eight, unnecessary goals.
's importance to the club is clear. In seven games without the Dutch midfielder, HSV have picked up only seven points compared to the 31 in 19 outings with the Hamburg hero on board.
- Matchday 27: FC Bayern Munich (A)
- Matchday 28: SC Freiburg (H)
- Matchday 29: 1. FSV Mainz 05 (A)
- Matchday 30: Fortuna Düsseldorf (H)
- Matchday 31: FC Schalke 04 (A)
- Matchday 32: VfL Wolfsburg (H)
- Matchday 33: 1899 Hoffenheim (A)
- Matchday 34: Bayer 04 Leverkusen (H)