Munich - Energie Cottbus continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-0 win over FC St. Pauli while MSV Duisburg remain rooted to the foot of the table after their third straight defeat, a crushing 3-1 reverse at home to Dynamo Dresden.

Energie Cottbus 2-0 FC St. Pauli

Cottbus showed exactly how they had made an unbeaten start to the season with a series of swift attacks, culminating in the first big opportunity of the game in the 13th minute when Daniel Adlung's shot hit the crossbar and fell out to Nicolas Farina, who lifted the ball over the bar as he fell backwards. It remained one-way traffic and, within a minute, Adler was through on goal again, but he placed his shot wide of the post. With only St. Pauli goalkeeper Philipp Tschauner to beat, Farina missed the home side's next big chance in the 17th minute before they finally made the breakthrough they deserved in the 21st minute when Stieperman's shot deflected into the far corner. Boubacar Sanogo wasted the chance to double Cottbus' lead when he did the hard work in stealing the ball off Tscharner, but shot into the side-netting on the half-hour mark.

It was a similar story in the second half, with Cottbus continuing to demonstrate their superiority. They went close to a second in the 48th minute, but Farina took too long getting the ball under control at the far post and the chance went begging. Ivica Banovic took matters into his own hands to give Cottbus a two-goal cushion in the 66th minute. He picked up possession outside the St. Pauli penalty area and shifted the ball onto his left foot before shooting low and in off the base of the right-hand upright. Konstantin Engel made a fine goalline clearance to deny Mahir Saglik with Pauli's first chance of the match in the 68th minute, but the Cottbus goal never came under threat again as Rudi Bommer's men moved on to seven points from their first three games of the season, leaving Pauli with just two.

MSV Duisburg 1-3 Dynamo Dresden

Duisburg found themselves on the back foot immediately with Idir Ouali putting Dresden ahead with their first attack. He met Sebastian Schuppan's cross with a committed header from close range to beat Felix Wiedwald (4'). The Schauinsland-Reisen-Arena was stunned to silence and the Duisburg players were unable to respond either. Their defence stood like statues as Anthony Losilla juggled his way past three of them before volleying in Dresden's second after 20 minutes.

A reaction of sorts came from the home team in the second half, but it was not until the 66th minute that they had the chance to get back into the game. That was when Maurice Exslager went down under the challenge of Vujadin Savic inside the penalty area, but Goran Sukalo's spot-kick was saved by Wiedwald. Mickael Pote then rubbed salt in Duisburg's gaping wounds with a simple header from point-blank range making it three for Dresden in the 78th minute. Exslager grabbed a consolation in stoppage time with a delightful lob, but it was too little too late for Duisburg, who remain rock bottom with three straight defeats this season.