Hertha BSC Berlin's perfect record away to FSV Frankfurt came to an end on Sunday as the hosts came from behind to take all three points. Earlier in the day, Eintracht Braunschweig became the first team to win two consecutive matches in the new season after beating Union Berlin away, while new boys SSV Jahn Regensburg registered their first victory at home to nine-man MSV Duisburg.

FSV Frankfurt 3-1 Hertha BSC Berlin

After recording a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Paderborn last week, Hertha coach Jos Luhukay set his team up aggressively, bringing attackers Adrian Ramos, Ronny and Änis Ben-Hatira into the first eleven alongside striker Sami Allagui. It took the visitors a while to find a way through the deep-lying hosts, but eventually their probing paid dividends when Marcel Ndjeng found Allagui in the box. His smart turn and shot came back off the post, but Ben-Hatira was well-positioned to slot home (40').

Costly lapse in concentration

The visitors appeared to be on their way to victory, but a dreadful back pass by John Anthony Brooks early the second half allowed Edmond Kapllani to run in on goal. The forward was brought down by keeper Sascha Burchert, who was subsequently sent off. Frankfurt captain Björn Schlicke made no mistake from the ensuing penalty (51') and FSV made the most of their extra man, with Mathew Leckie (63') and new signing John Verhoek (90+1') sealing the victory.

Union Berlin 0-1 Eintracht Braunschweig

The teams dispensed with the customary sparring period at the beginning of the match, instead going for the knockout blow right away, although neither side was able to create any clear chances. While Union went on to enjoy more possession in the first half, it was the visitors who took the lead when Marc Pfitzner (40') coolly slotted home a penalty just before the break after Marc Pfertzel had handled in the box.

Woodwork to the rescue

The home side pushed for an equaliser in the second period, with Braunschweig seemingly content to sit back and defend their lead. Nonetheless, they were dangerous on the counter-attack, particularly with the pace of Dominick Kumbela up front. While both sides did hit the crossbar in the closing stages, neither managed to score in an end-to-end finale.

SSV Jahn Regensburg 2-0 MSV Duisburg

Following on from their impressive performance in their season opener against 1860 Munich last week, Regensburg started confidently. While chances were at a premium in a largely uneventful first-half, the hosts did look the more threatening side. Their breakthrough finally came in the 36th minute when Christian Rahn rifled home a spot-kick after Duisburg defender Adli Lachheb was sent off for felling striker Francky Sembolo.

Regensburg make visitors pay

The hosts' tactics after the restart were clear - to push forward in numbers and make the most of their numerical advantage. Their pressure soon took its toll as Sembolo (60') finished from close range following a neat move down the left. The visitors' afternoon took a turn for the worse with midfielder Kevin Wolze's sending off, handing Regensburg a comfortable first victory.

Jon Stockitt