Munich - Energie Cottbus and 1. FC Kaiserslautern moved to the top of the Bundesliga 2 table with wins over Erzgebirge Aue and VfR Aalen respectively on Friday, while 1.FC Köln are still searching for their first win in Bundesliga 2 after conceding a late equaliser to SV Sandhausen in a 1-1 draw at the Rhein-Energie Stadion.

Energie Cottbus 3-0 Erzgebirge Aue

Cottbus captain Uwe Möhrle squandered the first chance of the game when he did not get enough on a corner from the right with the goal gaping. Aue responded immediately with Jakub Sylvestr's dipping shot tipped over the crossbar by Thorsten Kirschbaum. They fell behind four minutes later however, when Martin Männel's clearance only got as far as Daniel Adlung, who sent a wicked shot over the Cottbus custodian from 25 yards.

From there on in, Cottbus took an increasing grip on proceedings in the Ostderby and Uwe Hünemeier wasted a chance to head in a second in the 27th minute. Nicolas Farina was then impeded as he prepared to shoot and the referee pointed to the spot, granting Adlung the chance to get his second. He duly did, but needed two bites of the cherry as Männel saved the initial effort before Adlung swept in the rebound. It could have been done and dusted in the 38th minute when Marco Stiepermann's volley flashed across the goal.

Aue, that hurt

Strong words had clearly echoed around the Aue dressing room during the interval as they emerged with a much more positive approach, but luck was not on their side as, at the other end, Farina's 30-yard effort cannoned back off the crossbar to Boubacar Sanogo, who nodded in his third goal of the season and Cottbus' third of the night. The hosts subsequently missed several chances to make it a more comprehensive victory and they were still peppering the Aue goal at the finish, by which time the regional bragging rights had long since been established.

1.FC Köln 1-1 SV Sandhausen

Keen to get their first points on the board after the opening day loss at Braunschweig last weekend, Köln began the livelier of the two sides - but it was Sandhausen who went closest to breaking the deadlock when an unmarked Jan Fießer hit the crossbar with a header. Köln goalkeeper Timo Horn had to make his first save from Frank Löning's header a minute later.

Paying the penalty

Thomas Bröker rattled the left-hand upright with a shot from distance to open the second half on a positive note for the hosts. And it was Bröker who put them in front from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute to put Köln in the driving seat. Daniel Schulz had the ball in the back of the net for Sandhausen in the 78th minute, but the effort was ruled out for offside. It looked like the Billy Goats were going to hold on for the win, but perseverance paid off for the visitors as Regis Dorn levelled with an overhead kick which looped over Horn to earn Sandhausen a point in the 89th minute.

VfR Aalen 1-2 1.FC Kaiserslautern

Martin Dausch sent Aalen's first shot wide in the 14th minute as he ghosted in unmarked at the far post, but the visitors made no mistake with their first chance two minutes later. Albert Bunjaku converted the penalty he himself had earned, drilling the ball into the roof of the net.

Dausch levelled for the hosts at the other end with another spot-kick in the 25th minute after Jan Simunek handled the ball in the area. Robert Lechleiter's shot was tipped wide by Tobias Sippel as Aalen upped the tempo, but they came undone just a minute before half time. Mohamadou Idrissou, who bagged two for FCK against Union Berlin last weekend, was the provider this time for Bunjaku to add his second of the game with a low shot past the onrushing Daniel Bernhardt.

Late flurry

Lechleiter and Dausch continued to be a thorn in the side of the Kaiserslautern defence, but the Bundesliga 2 newcomers simply could not find a way through. It was backs-to-the-wall stuff right to the final whistle for the Red Devils as Aalen pushed for an equaliser, but not even a late flurry was rewarded as Kaiserslautern held on to move top.