Vincenzo Grifo's early penalty was cancelled out by Dawid Kownacki as Freiburg and Fortuna Düsseldorf shared the spoils at the Schwarzwald-Stadion.
Freiburg 1-1 Düsseldorf
Goals: 1-0 Grifo (9'), 1-1 Kownacki (31')
Red card: Haberer (48')
Freiburg hit the ground running at their Schwarzwald-Stadion, taking the lead within ten minutes after Benito Raman felled Janik Haberer inside the penalty area and Vincenzo Grifo converted from the spot. Grifo could have doubled the hosts' lead before Fortuna finally found a foothold in the game and duly levelled. Dawid Kownacki picked the ball up in his stride before unleashing an unstoppable shot which went in off the underside of the crossbar. Fortuna enjoyed the better of the conclusive stages of the second half, albeit without sneaking in front.
They did gain a numerical advantage early in the second half when Haberer received his second yellow card, and they almost capitalised immediately with Matthias Zimmermann afforded the freedom of the pitch to advance unchallenged and shoot just inches wide. Fortuna pushed for a winner, sending in eight shots without reply after the break until Freiburg substitute Roland Sallai ensured Michael Rensing was still awake with his side's first effort in over an hour. Both sides then laid down arms and accepted a point each.
- Freiburg have gone six games without a win and have lost each of their previous four.
- Nils Petersen returned to the Freiburg squad for the first time since Matchday 26; without him, Freiburg have yet to win this season in nine games.
- Grifo has converted three out of three penalties in the Bundesliga.
- All three of Kownacki's goals this season have come away from home; he has scored three from 11 shots.
- Freiburg have beaten Düsseldorf once in the league in seven meetings - a 1-0 win at home in 2013. Three more matches between the two have ended in draws, Fortuna winning the other three.
Freiburg: Schwolow – Koch, K. Schlotterbeck, Heintz – Frantz (c) (Sallai 72'), Haberer, Gondorf (N. Schlotterbeck 90+3'), Höfler, Günter – Grifo – Höler (Niederlechner 82')
Unused subs: Flekken, Stenzel, Terrazzino, Petersen
Out: Abrashi (suspended), Gulde (back), Kleindienst (knee), Kübler (ankle), Lienhart (concussion), Kath (groin), Okoroji (hamstring), Waldschmidt (groin)
Coach: Christian Streich
Düsseldorf: Rensing - Zimmermann, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Suttner - Kownacki (Lukebakio 73'), Bodzek (c) (Morales 68'), Stöger, Raman - Karaman (Fink 82'), Hennings
Unused subs: Drobny, Kaminski, Gießelmann, Barkok
Out: Sobottka (groin), Zimmer (ankle)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Watch: Kevin Stöger reflects on Fortuna's successful season back in the Bundesliga