A brace from Hertha Berlin's Davie Selke against his former club RB Leipzig helped the Old Lady on their way to a first-ever win over the Roten Bullen despite playing with ten men for over 80 minutes.

RB Leipzig 2-3 Hertha Berlin

Goals: 0-1 Selke (6'), 0-2 (Kalou (31'), 0-3 Selke (51') 1-3 Orban (68'), 2-3 Halstenberg (90'+2)

Red cards: Torunarigha (7')

The Old Lady were the quickest out the blocks at the Red Bull Arena and within minutes had their lead. Former Leipzig man Selke with the thumping finish from Alexander Esswein’s cross from the right. The Berlin striker said he’d celebrate if he scored against his former team, and he remained true to his word. The Hertha celebrations weren’t long-lived though as minutes later defender Jordan Torunarigha was given his marching orders for tripping up Timo Werner as the last man. The visitors didn’t shut up shop though and remarkably doubled their lead on the half-hour mark when Salomon Kalou powered home Valentino Lazaro’s free-kick into the box. RB boss Ralph Hasenhüttl reacted by bringing on midfielder Diego Demme, who moments late crashed an effort from the edge of the box onto Rune Jarstein’s woodwork. Naby Keita also went close but the visitors maintained their two-goal lead at the break.

Both sides made changes at the break: Leipzig’s tactical, while Hertha’s was enforced. The hosts were on the front foot for the opening minutes, but it was again Hertha who made the most of their chances. It looked like Arne Maier had squandered a golden opportunity when he simply had to tap home a rebound unchallenged, but the 18-year-old lost his footing and Leipzig were able to regroup and his eventual effort was saved. However, Hertha struck immediately from that corner with Selke coolly slotting home at the far post for his second of the game against his former club. Selke should have completed his hat-trick moments later when one-on-one with goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi, but fired his effort against the outside of the post. Leipzig did get one back with a little over 20 minutes remaining through captain Willi Orban. Marcel Halstenberg did get one more back with an injury-time header but it was too little too late for the Roten Bullen, who applied pressure late on but couldn't find another way through Berlin's defensive wall.