presented-by GolTV
Bundesliga Bundesliga 2


back DFB Cup | 18.08.2012 17:37:22

Shock for Hoffenheim as DFB Cup cranks into gear

  • Markus Babbel was far from pleased as Hoffenheim fell at the first hurdle in the DFB Cup
  • Summer signing Marco Reus (r.) opened his account for Dortmund against FC Oberneuland
  • Jakub Blaszczykowski (l.) and Ivan Perisic added strikes of their own to round-off a 3-0 win
  • Borussia Mönchengladbach made hard work of overcoming Alemannia Aachen...
  • ...but late goals from Juan Arango (l.) and Havard Nordtveit eased any concern of an upset
  • SC Freiburg had to rely on a late goal from Sebastian Freis (m.) to reach the second round

Germany's top-flight sides endured a day of emotion, drama and upset in the opening round of the DFB Cup. Holders Borussia Dortmund eased through to the next phase, as did Bayer Leverkusen, SC Freiburg, VfB Stuttgart and Borussia Mönchengladbach. The biggest shock of the day came in Berlin, however, as 1899 Hoffenheim crashed to defeat against fourth tier side Berliner AK 07.

FC Oberneuland 0-3 Borussia Dortmund

Borussia Dortmund eased into the second round of the Cup after a comfortable 3-0 win at FC Oberneuland.

Marco Reus took just ten minutes to open his account, the diminutive forward racing clear to round the keeper and slot home. There were a few worried faces as Robert Lewandowski took a knock shortly afterwards, but Dortmund were soon back on their game as Jakub "Kuba" Blaszczykowski left his marker for dead and tickled the side netting. Oberneuland showed enough passion to warrant their moment in the sun, but BVB were effective if nothing else - barely breaking sweat - and were able to breathe easy as Lukasz Piszczek and Kuba combined for Dortmund's second.

Reus and Kuba asked further questions early in the second half, but with the result seemingly in the bag, Jürgen Klopp threw on Mario Götze to liven up a fairly tepid contest. Sure enough, BVB soon stretched their lead, with Ivan Perisic grabbing the third.

Berliner AK 07 4-0 1899 Hoffenheim

Markus Babbel's Hoffenheim were the victims of one of the biggest DFB Cup upsets of recent years at Berliner AK 07. The hosts' remarkable 4-0 win was in fact the highest margin of victory for a fourth-flight team against Bundesliga opposition in the hiistory of the tournament.

Spirits had been high in the Hoffenheim camp going into this game, but they could not have got off to a worse start. Barely two minutes had been played when a loose ball fell to AK midfielder Metin Cakmak to loop a half-volley over Zieler and into the net. The goal should have sparked Babbel's side into life, but they struggled against the high-energy pressing game of their humble hosts.

The home side continued to hold their own and sensationally doubled their lead on the half-hour mark, as a counter-attack released Justin Gerlach, who calmly side-footed past Wiese. And a terrible half got even worse for 1899, when Kevin Kruschke burst through the defence to make it 3-0. Neither did the half-time break provide any respite for TSG, as yet another simple pass through the middle allowed Cakmak in for his second of the afternoon.

Hoffenheim, 11th in the Bundesliga last season, never looked likely to change the course of the match. For Berliner AK, however, the celebrations will continue long into the night and they can proudly take their place in the second round draw.

Alemannia Aachen 0-2 Borussia Mönchengladbach

In spite of the searing heat in Aachen, both sets of players looked to play a high tempo game. The first noteworthy effort on goal fell predictably to the away side after seven minutes when Igor de Camargo was fouled on the edge of the box, but Juan Arango's free-kick whistled past the post. Aachen, who dropped into the Third League in May, were otherwise solid in defence, providing goalkeeper Tim Krumpen with good protection.

Gladbach debutant Luuk de Jong, signed in the summer from Dutch side FC Twente, was a relatively quite figure in the opening half and was involved in the game only sporadically. Indeed, with such a fierce battle being contested in midfield, goalmouth action was at a premium, although de Camargo might have done better with a header from Arango's dinked cross.

The early moments second half was a similar story, with Gladbach probing but unable to fashion a clear-cut opportunity. Finally, however, the Potato Beetles' resistance was broken when de Jong and Arango combined for the Venezuelan to provide the moment of quality the game needed and found the bottom corner. Havard Nordveit added a second late on for the Foals, but Lucien Favre's side will know they were given a stern test.

Carl Zeiss Jena 0-4 Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Bayer Leverkusen barely broke sweat on their way to a 3-0 first-round win over Carl Zeiss Jena.

A dominant Werkself needed just three minutes to open their account as Simon Rolfes picked up Karim Bellarabi's knock-down and slammed home. Andre Schürrle came close to netting a second, but his low effort was cleared off the line. The writing looked to be on the wall for Jena when Leverkusen's puppet master Bellarabi collected from Schürrle before smashing a stunning effort in off the upright for 2-0.

Die Werkself were able to take their foot off the gas after the restart, with Jena unable to find any sort of rhythm going forward. The afternoon heat took its toll, and in the final ten minutes, goals from Stefan Kießling and substitute Junior Fernandes rounded off an easy afternoon's work for the Bundesliga club.

SV Falkensee-Finkenkrug 0-5 VfB Stuttgart

Stuttgart got their season up and running with a comfortable win away in Falkensee. After a even opening quarter to the match, the Bundesliga side's quality told, as goals from Vedad Ibisevic, Martin Harnik, Tunay Torun and Shinji Okazaki saw them safely into round two.

After a tight opening quarter to the match, VfB finally made the breakthrough when Georg Niedermeier's header was parried by home keeper Stefan Demuth and Ibisevic was on hand to tap home from close range. Demuth then made an incredible save to deny the Serb a second from the impressive Ibrahima Traore's low cross.

Harnik then added two goals either side of the interval to put the tie firmly out of the home side's reach. Backed by vociferous home support, Falkensee-Falkenkrug continued to toil away, but Stuttgart's quality was simply too much, with Torun and Okazaki stealing in to make the final score 0-5.

Viktoria Hamburg 1-2 SC Freiburg

SC Freiburg left it late to book their place in the second round with a narrow 2-1 at Viktoria Hamburg.

Vicky flew out of the blocks and, six minutes in, were handed a golden chance to open the scoring from the spot, only for Robert Stilz to fluff his lines from 12-yards. Hamburg paid the price for that miss when Max Kruse headed Freiburg in front, but the lead lasted barely a minute as Jakob Sachs pulled his side back on equal footing. The home side battled hard, but were a shade fortunate to go in level at the break after Ivan Santini shot straight at the keeper from close range.

Despite plenty of huffing and puffing, Freiburg were finding life extremely difficult in front of Viktoria's well-drilled back four. However, tired legs played their part as the hosts - clearly trying to force extra time - bowed to the relentless pressure to let in substitute Sebastian Freis.

Other results on Saturday:

Hallescher FC 0-1 MSV Duisburg
Offenburger FV 0-3 FC St. Pauli
Unterhaching 1-2 1. FC Köln
1. FC Heidenheim 0-2 VfL Bochum

More about: Borussia Mönchengladbach >

More about: Borussia Dortmund >