- Pulisic the youngest USMNT player to start a World Cup qualifier.
- Made one assist in 4-0 win over Trinidad.
- Klinsmann delights in Dortmund starlet's progress.
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Christian Pulisic was lauded by media worldwide after becoming the youngest USMNT player to start a FIFA World Cup qualifier in the 4-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday.
Making his full debut for the senior side and eighth appearance overall, 17-year-old Pulisic put in another eye-catching display, running the show from midfield and chipping in with an assist for Jozy Altidore - the man who he supplants in the record books.
The Guardian described his performance as "brimming with vigour and good judgment – the controlled energy you might expect of a player in his prime, rather than one whose career has just begun."
"Though he didn't score, Pulisic was involved in every good chance the Americans created. Perhaps more important, he showed the maturity and physicality that the international game demands," wrote ESPN FC, and USMNT head coach Jürgen Klinsmann could only agree.
"It's going very smooth for him," he said. "Hopefully he'll get some minutes for Borussia Dortmund, which is not easy. They're fully loaded now in their roster, so we bring him along and when I have the feeling to hold him back, I hold him back. When I have the feeling to give him a go, I give him a go. But having him now [...] seeing the progression, how he takes people on - it's fun to watch."
Watch: Pulisic's Bundesliga milestones:
Borussia Mönchengladbach winger Fabian Johnson also registered an assist in Jacksonville, while Hamburger SV striker Bobby Wood completed the first 60 minutes as the USA sealed their place in the Hexagonal stage of CONCACAF 2018 World Cup qualifying as Group C winners.
Special moment tonight in Jacksonville in my WCQ debut w/ a goal. Thanks to all the USMNT fans..btw this guy is 👌🏼🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/KQxxvMeWGQ— Paul Arriola (@PaulArriola) September 7, 2016
Pulisic's records for club and country
- The fourth youngest goalscorer in Bundesliga history (17 years, seven months, nine days).
- The youngest player to reach two career Bundesliga goals (17 years, seven months, 15 days).
- The youngest USMNT player to appear in a World Cup qualifier (17 years, six months, 13 days).
- The youngest USMNT goalscorer (17 years, 253 days).
- The youngest USMNT goalscorer in a World Cup qualifier (17 years, 353 days).