Freiburg had much the better of the first half and Marco Terrazzino forced Hannover keeper Philipp Tschauner to parry a rasping volley away on 28 minutes. The winger then played in Mike Frantz who was denied from close range before Florian Niederlechner went close with a header from a Terrazzino cross. Before that, Niclas Füllkrug headed over for the visitors but they would have been relieved to be level at the break.
Hannover were fortunate not to fall behind early in the second half when Waldemar Anton took down Niederlechner in the area. Instead of scoring his and Freiburg’s second goal of the season, however, the Freiburg attacker sent his spot-kick wide. The home team were then punished for not taking their chances when Fullkrüg sent over a perfect low cross from which Harnik slotted home from six yards out. Petersen bundled home from a corner to level though before Niederlechner snatched at a chance to win the game in the dying seconds.
(Our supersub strikes again! Nils Petersen scores to make it 1-1!)
Man of the Match
A summer signing from Hoffenheim, Terrazzino seemed like a man on a mission to haul Freiburg up the table. The 26-year-old had his first shot in the very first minute and also showed great vision – particularly with a sumptuous through ball for Frantz’s chance – to create most of the home side’s best openings.
- Nils Petersen has scored 20 goals in the Bundesliga after coming on as a substitute.
- Hannover have made the best start in their Bundesliga history with three wins and two draws in their first five games.
- The visitors are still unbeaten in 15 matches under coach Andre Breitenreiter - he has overseen 10 wins and five draws since taking over in March.
- Freiburg have only picked up three points from a possible 15 this season, and have gone seven Bundesliga games without a win.
- Hannover striker Martin Harnik has already scored more Bundesliga goals in five games this season (4) than he did in 19 games for Stuttgart in 2015/16 (2).
Freiburg: Schwolow - Stenzel, Lienhart, Söyüncü, Günter - Schuster, Höfler, Frantz (Petersen 74') - Haberer (Kent 74'), Terrazzino (Kath 87') - Niederlechner
Coach: Christian Streich
Hannover: Tschauner - Korb, Sane, Hübner (Bebou HT), Ostrzolek - Schwegler (Schmiedebach 62') - Anton, Bakalorz - Harnik, Klaus - Füllkrug (Karaman 84')
Coach: Andre Breitenreiter