- South-western rivals go head to head.
- Both sides with strong starts to the season.
- Hosts bidding for third win in a row.
Hoffenheim have hit the ground running with a six-game unbeaten streak in 2016/17, winning their last two, and a third in the derby would equal a club record. That is a far cry from last season's struggles, but those memories are still fresh and coach Julian Nagelsmann is ensuring his side do not get carried away as they prepare to host local rivals Freiburg. "We're enjoying it, but we know it's only temporary," he said. "We're just trying to keep things up."
Freiburg's return to the top flight has not started off so badly either, with three wins and three defeats putting nine points in the bank already. Those wins have come at home, however, while the losses have all been on the road, a fact they will be keen to remedy this weekend.
- Hoffenheim have won their last two, but have only ever won three Bundesliga matches in a row under former coach Ralf Rangnick.
- Hoffenheim have started a season with a six-match unbeaten run for the second time in their Bundesliga history (2014/15 being the first).
- Fifteen of Sandro Wagner's 23 Bundesliga goals have come on the road, including his two strikes for Hoffenheim.
- Nine points after six matches represents Freiburg's second best start to a Bundesliga season.
- Freiburg trio Vincenzo Grifo, Manuel Gulde and Yanik Haberer all represented Hoffenheim at youth level.
- The last four previous Bundesliga meetings between Freiburg and Hoffenheim have ended in draws.