- Aubameyang scores 59th Dortmund goal on 100th appearance.
- Piszczek scores two in two games for Westphalians.
- Philipp grabs consolation for guests before Guerreiro wrapped up win.
Borussia Dortmund equalled their Bundesliga club record 24-game unbeaten streak on home soil thanks to a 3-1 win over SC Freiburg in the opening fixture of Matchday 5 on Friday night.
Freiburg had the first chance when Vincenzo Grifo suddenly found himself alone with only Roman Bürki to beat, yet his weak finish was straight at the Swiss custodian. For all their enterprise, the hosts were lacking a killer ball until Matthias Ginter sent Aubameyang through, but his dinked shot went just wide of the far post. The hosts finally made the breakthrough on the stroke of half-time when Aubameyang slid in to meet Ousmane Dembele's pass for his 59th Dortmund goal.
Dortmund were on fire at the start of the second half and Piszczek's second goal in as many games rounded off five minutes of almost relentless pressure. They were given food for thought on the hour mark, though, as Philipp showed better composure than Grifo had in the first half to pull a goal back for the guests. Aubameyang hit the post and struck another effort wide as Dortmund sought to turn the screw, succeeding in stoppage time with substitute Guerreiro sealing victory.
Man of the Match
Not just man of the match, but also man of the moment for Dortmund: red hot Aubameyang joined Robert Lewandowski at the top of the Bundesliga scoring charts with his fourth goal of the season in as many games, and he could have had more.
In his first 100 games for Borussia Dortmund, Lewandowski scored 55 goals. Aubameyang celebrated a century of appearances for the Westphalians with his 59th – four more than his perennial scoring rival.
- 1,248 days after his last home appearance at SIGNAL IDUNA PARK, Mario Götze was back there in a Borussia Dortmund shirt. His last BVB home appearance was against Mainz on 20 April 2013, BVB winning 2-0.
- Aubameyang has scored 59 goals in his first 100 Dortmund games; Lewandowski had 55 in his first 100 BVB appearances.
- Without a goal in two years, Piszczek has now scored two in four days.
- Guerreiro scored his first goal at SIGNAL IDUNA PARK
Dortmund: Bürki - Piszczek, Papastathopoulos, Ginter, Schmelzer (c) - Castro, Weigl – Dembele (80' Rode), Götze (71' Guerreiro), Mor (64' Pulisic) - Aubameyang
Coach: Thomas Tuchel
Freiburg: Schwolow - Ignjovski, Gulde (54' Niedermeier), Söyüncü, Günter – Höfler (c), Abrashi - Bulut, Grifo – Petersen, (54' Haberer), Philipp (67' Niederlechner)
Coach: Christian Streich