- Hertha top of the table with Bayern after two straight wins.
- Schalke lost their opening two league matches.
- Hertha never won their first two games of a season before.
Hertha have hit the ground running this season with back-to-back wins erasing the disappointment of an early UEFA Europa League exit. Those triumphs have also made them the current number one challengers to FC Bayern München – a team they meet on Matchday 4 on Wednesday – at the top of the standings.
That is a role Schalke may have been hoping to fill this term, but successive defeats have instead left them bottom of the pile with new coach Markus Weinzierl still waiting for his first points since taking charge. They will be buoyed by their performance against Bayern on Matchday 2, however, and optimistic of finally getting off the mark this time around.
- Hertha and Bayern are the only Bundesliga teams to have taken maximum points from their opening two games.
- It is the first time Hertha have started a Bundesliga campaign with back-to-back wins.
- Hertha have only won one of their last 15 matches against Schalke.
- Schalke have registered 20 shots on goal this season without scoring.
- The Royal Blues have started a season with two successive Bundesliga defeats for the first time in six years.
- Hertha midfielder Alexander Baumjohann made his Bundesliga debut whilst playing for Schalke in 2006.