- Pohjanpalo scored a hat-trick off the bench as Bayer beat Hamburg on Matchday 2.
- Frankfurt lost the Hessen derby to a late goal from Darmstadt’s Sirigu.
- Bayer won both Bundesliga meetings last season.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen will be hoping from more magic from super-sub Joel Pohjanpalo as they travel to face Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday afternoon (kick-off 15:30 CEST / 13:30 GMT).
The 22-year-old Finn is joint-top of the Bundesliga scoring charts with four goals, all of which he has scored after coming on as a substitute. Last week, his rapid-fire hat-trick gave Bayer a 3-1 win over Hamburger SV, but he faces stiff competition for a starting berth with Kevin Volland back in contention.
Frankfurt were one of several Bundesliga teams who conceded late goals last week – but Sandro Sirigu’s 90th-minute strike will have particularly stung, as it handed their Hessen derby rivals Darmstadt a 1-0 win. Niko Kovac’s side – who beat Schake on Matchday 1 – are now keen to get back to winning ways, against a team who beat them 3-1 at the Commerzbank Arena last season.
Watch: Check out the highlights of Pohjanpalo's season so far:
- Bayer's Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez and Frankfurt's Marco Fabian played together at Guadalajara and are currently the only Mexicans playing in the Bundesliga.
- Leverkusen have scored at least once in their last 15 trips to Frankfurt.
- Frankfurt's Alexander Meier has never scored in a home match against Leverkusen.
- Eintracht lost both games against Leverkusen last season by three goals.
- There has never been a 0-0 draw in a single one of the 62 Bundesliga meetings between Frankfurt and Leverkusen.