- Mainz still without a win this season.
- Augsburg came from behind for first three points on Matchday 2, but lost their first home game.
- Mainz have dropped just two points from five previous visits to Augsburg.
Trailing 1-0 to SV Werder Bremen, goals from Jeffrey Gouweleeuw and Konstantinos Stafylidis turned the tables on their hosts to earn Die Fuggerstädter their first points of the season. They will be keen to follow that up with their first win at home this season when Mainz come to town.
Mainz were leading 4-1 against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, but a second-half collapse meant Die Nullfünfer were hanging on for a point by the end of a dramatic 4-4 draw. As a result, Martin Schmidt's men are still winless, a trend they will be keen to end on Sunday at a venue where they have enjoyed plenty of success down the years.
- Mainz have taken 13 points from the last 15 on offer in games against Augsburg.
- The 05ers have scored 14 goals in total and at least two per game in their last five meetings with Augsburg.
- Mainz's Martin Schmidt will oversee his 50th Bundesliga match as a head coach.
- Games between Mainz and Augsburg produced more goals (12) than any other Bundesliga head-to-head last season.
- Augsburg midfielder Ja-Cheol Koo has scored three goals in four games against former club Mainz.
- There has never been a goalless draw in meetings between the two sides.