- Köln third with four points from a possible six.
- Freiburg seventh after impressive win over Gladbach.
- The visitors have won last three Bundesliga meetings.
1. FC Köln will look to keep up their unbeaten start to the new Bundesliga season - and go top of the table for one night at least - as they host promoted SC Freiburg in the opening game of Matchday 3 on Friday (kick-off 20:30 CEST / 18:30 GMT).
After their opening-day win over SV Darmstadt 98, Köln held VfL Wolfsburg to a goalless draw at the Volkswagen Arena last time out. Peter Stöger’s side are yet to concede a goal this term and the coach may have a selection dilemma between the sticks as first-choice keeper Timo Horn could make an early return from injury. A victory would see Köln, whose glory years came in the late 1970s, climb to the top of the table overnight.
Newly-promoted Freiburg have already shown they are not to be underestimated, though, after coming from behind to stun UEFA Champions League participants Borussia Mönchengladbach last week. Maximilian Philipp was the hero with a spectacular brace of goals in the 3-1 victory. After a one-year hiatus in Bundesliga 2, the club from the Black Forest have remained true to their footballing principles and emphasis on youth and come into this one unbeaten against Köln since 2011.
- Köln have never lost one of their first three games of the season under Peter Stöger (four wins, seven draws).
- The Billy Goats have not won a Friday night since beating SV Werder Bremen 1-0 on 24 October 2014 (three draws, two defeats).
- All of Freiburg's four Bundesliga goals so far this season have come in the second half.
- Köln and FC Bayern München are the only two Bundesliga clubs still to concede a competitive goal this season.
- Freiburg have won all four of their meetings with Köln under Christian Streich.
- Streich is the longest-serving coach currently in the Bundesliga; Stöger is third on the list.